Sunday, October 19, 2008

Being a dad, a random tour

This is not about my two girls and me, but rather about my dad and his three boys. I will remind you I am from NM and distances are vast. It is 4 and 1/2 hours from home to Roswell. In my day high schools were three years, freshmen were in junior high.

Buzz: three years football (center), three years track (discus and shot put)
Ted: three years football (two years bench warmer, one year all-state center), three years track (mid-distances, all in relays)
David: Three years Cross-Country, Two years track (long distance, I was Will Parker in "Oklahoma" as a senior).

Me dancing, heh. My dad taught me how to tap, during the depression he tapped for nickels in bars. If I tried that I would probably have to give all the patrons dimes.

Dad never missed a meet. I remember going to Roswell to watch Ted's football team get crushed and Ted sit on the bench. We followed the team bus home and got home at 5:30am (school busses back then were really slow). The best trip was up to Raton. To get there we had to go through Eagles Nest Pass. It was October and the trees were changing. The mountains were literally aflame with reds and purples. The trip there was so stunning I don't remember what happened in the game.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home