Monday, October 23, 2006

Requiem for a Car

Two weeks ago I was involed in a high-speed two-car head-on collision with a gentleman who had decided to self-check himself out of the hospital. He went to sleep at the wheel, crossed the median, and did in my 1993 Geo Prism (he also did in a telephone pole and killed the electricity for 2 towns for 4 hours). So you don't worry, I only got a wicked seat-belt shaped bruise and some minor cuts. When I showed my daughter my bruise she made the "Oh, Dad, that looks horrible" noises. As I was leaving the family room she was on the phone with her boyfriend and was saying, "...you should see my Dad's bruises, they are so cool". That's my girl.

I loved that car. I used and abused it and it always purred for me. It went out to New Mexico a couple of times and traveled the midwest extensively. (Ouside of Florida I think it had been to every state east of the Mississippi). I took that car on back-country dirt roads that spooked the heck out of my wife and daughters. She (my car) had seen the Badlands, ghost-towns, and too many volcanoes to count (NM is a volcanic state, though all are dormat right now). Well, I should count my blessings, I am fine and I had 13 years with a truly good car.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home