Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Partial list of rivers run

Just to put a time line on all this, I ran rivers from 1963 t0 1974, during the summers I sailed Schooner rigged Ketch's from 1974-1982. I never got my Captain's license and I am sore tempted to get it now. But I got married and other things became more important. Actually we got engaged in May 1982 and she was a tad put out that I disappeared for the summer (sailed the south pacific, very few ports of call).

This is just a list, I have some of these on tape and the others are from memory. I will list the ones on tape first. If you wanna watch me flip a boat in heavy water, arrange a time and bring popcorn. And yes being under the weather is lonely and I am desperate.

On Tape (these trips lasted from 8 days to 22 days, we got REALLY smelly):
Westwater Canyon on the Colorado
Delores River (were I putz around in a boat that is 6 ft long and 3 ft wide)
Cataract Canyon on the Colorado (with flippsie David)
Grand Canyon to Phantom Ranch on the Colorado
Salmon River and the Snake River in Idaho/Washington
Middle Fork of the Salmon River (with added Waldo adventure, see below)
Gates of the Ladore on the Green River (Near Dinosaur National Monument), cool fantasy name, eh, I kept looking for elves? (By the way this loosely means the gates of gold)

Not on Tape, The next are not on tape and we did them several times over the years and they lasted 1-3 days:

Whitewater Canyon, Toas Box (one time to pick up an 18 year old floater, very disturbing, it was his birthday and he did nothing wrong, just very bad luck), San Juan Pueblo to the LA Bridge (greenie run) and Big Bend all on the Rio Grande

Chama River
Gila River
Pecos River
The Box, Silida to Cotapaxi, and Royal Gorge all on the Arkansas River
Gunnison River (starting just below the dam)
Salt River
Rogue River in Oregon (just once)
San Juan River


We also did some spelunking. We did several caves but the only name I remember is Cottonwood Cave (near Carlsbad) and we stayed in the cave for the long weekend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home