Sunday, December 19, 2004

I owe my life to a censor

By the way, these stories are as they were told at my parents 50th wedding aniversary (they have now been married 58 years).

When my dad was at Los ALamos all of his mail (both incoming and outgoing) was censored. Everybody's mail address was a PO Box in Santa Fe (1663?). The method of censorship was cutting the offending words or lines out, so some letters looked like swiss cheese.

My dad had two girlfriends at the time and was corresponding with both. Every week or so he sent each a letter. One day he got his two most recent letters back from the censor with a note asking if he had put the right letters in the right envelopes. He hadn't. So he switched the letters and sent them along. We are all pretty much convinced that if mom knew he had a second girlfriend she would have dropped him in a second.

So here is a libertarian thanks to a goverment censor.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home